Skip to main content Accessibility Help?

University accommodation can be a great option for students from all backgrounds. Whilst most students have a positive experience of University accommodation, sometimes things do not run as smoothly as you may like. The Guild Advice Service can support you if you experience difficulties when living in halls. 

Support in halls

All University of Liverpool residences have a team of live-in academic pastoral staff. 

Residential Advisors (RA) live on-site and are available in the evening and through the night if you have an emergency. The contact number for your residences’ RA team can be found on the back of your halls card. Further details can be found here

Wardens are responsible for welfare and discipline within halls. They are senior staff who live in halls of residence and help to ensure all students receive the support and assistance they need. Further details can be found here.

Moving halls

If you are unhappy in your halls, the first person to speak to is your Residential Adviser (RA) or Warden. If you are unsure who this is, you should ask your halls reception and they will be able to let you know. If an alternative room is available, you must obtain written consent from the Accommodation Office and you will be subject to an administration fee of £50. 

Leaving early

If your circumstances change during the year, you should write to the Accommodation Team Leader at least 28 days before you require the University to make their decision. In most circumstances, you would not normally be released from your accommodation agreement unless you are no longer a registered student or you have found another student willing to take your place.

If you are released from the agreement, you would usually have your accommodation fees refunded less:

a)    A pro-rata sum of your occupancy of the halls up to the date of release;
b)    A pro-rata sum equivalent to the four weeks’ notice period, and;
c)    Costs payable due to loss, damage, the removal of personal belongings, and/or any other reasonable expense/administration cost. 


If you wish to make a complaint about your time in halls, get in touch with a Guild Adviser who can support you in doing so. You may find our complaints page useful for more information.

Powered by MSL