Skip to main content Accessibility Help?

Moving in to a new property is a really exciting time but there are also lots of important things to think about. We’ve set out the key things you need to do before and after moving into a new home. 

Before you move in:  

  • Check your paperwork to make sure you’ve done everything you have to do to get the keys e.g. paying deposit. 

  • Make arrangements for paying the first rental instalment in advance. This may be before your loan payment so it is worth checking the date with your Landlord when you sign the contract.  

  • Provide a signed guarantor form if necessary 

  • Set up standing orders for future rent payments. If you’re on a joint contract make sure all of the other joint tenants have done what they need to do too, especially if you signed up several months in advance. 

There are also a number of things your landlord should provide you: 

  • An up to date Gas Safety Certificate 

  • An Energy Performance Certificate 

  • A copy of How to rent: The checklist for renting in England 

  • Confirmation that the deposit has been protected if already paid and the correct prescribed information for the deposit scheme used  

  • A copy of the HMO or Selective License if required  

Moving In:  

When you first move into a property make sure you quickly find out from your landlord things like: 

  • Where the gas, electric and water meters are and then take readings? 

  • Who the current utility suppliers are? 

  • How to work the heating system and where the thermostat is? 

  • How to work all appliances in the property? 

  • What the security alarm code is and how to use it? (it can void any contents insurance if the property has an alarm which is not used)  

  • Does anything in the property require special cleaning methods such as wooden floors or carpets? 


It is important to complete an inventory with your landlord or letting agent when you first move into a new property. This will make things much easier if there is a dispute over the return of the deposit at the end of the tenancy. If your landlord isn’t around to complete the inventory do it yourself and take time stamped pictures and videos or take a witness. If your landlord does provide you with a inventory you can use our template available here:  

When completing your inventory make special note of the condition of thing such as the paintwork, carpets, curtains, fittings, furniture and appliances as these are often the most contested items at the end of a tenancy. It is also important to note if anything listed on the inventory if missing for example if the inventory states there is a microwave in the kitchen but this isn’t there or if anything isn’t working especially electrical items, the boiler and any alarms in the property.  

Once you have complete the inventory sign and date it then make sure you keep a copy safe but also send the signed copy to your landlord.  

Utility Bills 

If your rent doesn’t cover the cost of utilities you will need to contact each of the companies that provide you with gas, electricity and water and inform them that you have moved in. If you are unsure who the provider is your landlord or agent should be able to tell you.  

To open your account you will need to provide metre readings. It is also advisable to ask the suppliers to note all joint tenants’ names on the account. It is important to ensure that you give accurate meter readings or you may find that you end up paying for previous usage. If you are unable to locate the meters then contact your landlord or agent who will be able to tell you.  

Council Tax  

It is important to inform the local council that you have moved into your new property and provide a ‘Student Exception Certificates’ for each full-time student residing with you to avoid Council Tax charges you may not be liable for. You can get a copy of your ‘Student Exception Certificate’ from Liverpool Life and can apply for the exemption on the Liverpool Council website.   

TV Licence  

If you intend to watch or record live TV whether broadcast in the UK or abroad on any device including a TV, laptop, tablet, phone or smart stick and/or uses BBC iPlayer either to watch live TV or stream you will legally be required to to pay for a TV Licence. 

Whether you require one TV Licence for the whole property or one for each tenant will depend on your tenancy agreement. If you share with other people and have a joint tenancy for the whole property, you should only need one TV Licence, but if each tenant has an individual agreement for a specific room then each tenant will require their own licence.   

You can purchase a TV Licence online here:  

Powered by MSL