In the UK today, too many disabled children lack the equipment and opportunities they need to live life to the full and reach their true potential. Whizz-Kidz sets them free by providing the right mobility equipment and skills to build their self-esteem, confidence and aspiration. By joining in and volunteering, you can help transform children’s lives.
Whizz-Kidz aim to transform the lives of young wheelchair users aged between 2 and 25. We do this by providing life changing mobility equipment, exciting youth groups and wheelchair skills training. There are sometimes extra opportunities, such as volunteering at a residential camp.
Volunteers can support us to reach this aim by:
• Supporting young people to get involved in activities
• Leading or co-leading activities or ice breakers if you would like to
• Acting as a positive role model for young wheelchair users
• Ensuring the event runs smoothly along with other volunteers and staff
We are looking for people with the following skills:
• Enthusiastic and confident
• Supportive, friendly and sensitive to others
• Ability to communicate with young people of different ages with different abilities: for example, some of
our young people may use a communication device instead of communicating verbally.
• Positive attitude towards disability
• Flexible and creative
• Proactive and not afraid to get involved
• Experience of working with young people is an advantage but not essential
What else should I know?
• All volunteers will receive safeguarding training and a DBS check as you will be working with
vulnerable children and young people.
• Whizz-Kidz will reimburse reasonable travel expenses, up to £30 per event (taxis only with prior agreement)
• Our clubs run on a monthly basis on a weekenday day, with the exception of January, August and December.
Minimum commitment level: Once every two months
Start Date: 22-09-2019