UK citizens receive it shortly before their 16th birthday. Its format is 2 letters, 6 numbers, and a final letter
If you did not automatically receive an NI number when you turned 16, you can apply for one online: www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Here’s how you can find it:
- On your payslip, if you have a paid job
- On official letters about tax, pensions, or benefits
- If you receive a student loan, it’s likely you used your National Insurance number in your application.
- Online, by creating or logging into your personal tax account at www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account-
- Apply to receive a confirmation of your NI number by post at www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number; you will need to complete form CA5403, which is linked on the website.
- Call the National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 for further advice, if you have never received an NI number or can’t register for a personal tax account.