The Be Free Campaign aims to demolish the stigma behind mental health and promote the free expression of individual values. We work around the country to raise awareness of mental health, mental wellbeing and the stigma that stops many people from getting the help that they need. We have a large team of volunteers who work together and develop our different projects. Our website stands as the hub of the campaign providing information about mental health, stories that inspire people to get help and places where help can be accessed. All of our content is monitored and evaluated by psychiatrists and mental health professionals to ensure that all of our content is up to date and in line with the NHS.
We work with schools, hospitals and community centres around the North West and the Midlands, delivering talks and workshops on mental health and wellbeing. All of our volunteers are trained by our clinical lead, who is a psychiatrist. We also work in communities, talking to the public about mental health and wellbeing. We host coffee mornings, street campaigns and awareness concerts that all break down the stigma that surrounds mental health. Our funds that are received from sponsors, events and donors help us perform the work that we do. All of our volunteers who work with vulnerable people in the community need to be DBS checked. Our volunteers are also covered by public liability insurance that protects them when volunteering with us.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Adopt a friendly, happy, welcoming approach
- Have an ability to engage with people of all ages and abilities
- Are outgoing, personable and a good conversationalist
- Have good listening skills
- Have good basic admin and IT skills
- Display honesty and integrity
- Show compassion and empathy as the situation requires
- Have the ability to make people feel at ease
- Present with a smart, neat appearance and professional demeanour
- Are polite and courteous at all times, regardless of the situation
- Are able to deal calmly with difficult situations
- Are willing to go the extra mile, even at busy times
Expected time commitment
- The Be Free Campaign works with volunteers to ensure that they understand the
- We expect volunteers to understand the roles and tasks required and therefore
apply only if they feel they can offer their time.
What can you gain from this opportunity?
- Be part of team dedicated to improving mental health, wellbeing and access to
- Mental Health and Wellbeing awareness training
- Volunteering within a team of professionals, enthusiasts and those wanting to
improve people’s mental health
- Meeting and working with new people
- The opportunity to develop your administrative, customer service and IT skills
- Build skills / experience for your CV
- Travel expenses will be reimbursed according to guidelines
Work on events such as street campaigns, coffee mornings, awareness projects. Led by Monic
and Sundus, you will work in a team to organise, take part and help run these events and many
more. If you have a great idea, they would love to listen and maybe you can carry out your plan!
Help organise talks, workshops and presentations on wellbeing and mental health awareness.
These will take place in schools, hospitals, universities, youth centres and business locations. Join
the team! A selected number of volunteers will be chosen to speak at events and will take place
through an interview process. Everyone will be trained by our mental health nurses and
If you would like to help run our social media advertisements and promotion, join our social
media team. It involves promoting mental health on social media and promoting our events too!
If you are interested in creating newsletters, videos, leaflets and PowerPoints, join our content
team. All of our content that is released is made here and then reviewed by our clinical lead. This
means it is all monitored by the relevant professionals.
Graphics and Media:
If you would like to work on our graphics, infographics and promotional video content, join this
team. You will get to work in a team and create catching projects that make our aims clear.
To do the great stuff we do, we need to raise funds. If you would like to help run fundraisers to
fund all of our projects, then join the fundraising team. You will work in a team and raise funds
which cover all of our expenses.
Minimum commitment level: Once a month
Start Date: 18-01-2021