Accommodation Queries

**This information is correct as of 8th April 2020**

We are aware that many students will have questions about their housing in relation to the emerging COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic. It is important that at this time you are aware of what your rights and responsibilities are.

If you have questions you can contact our Guild Advice service at they will ask for your name, student number, accommodation type and, if possible, a copy of your housing contract. It can be helpful to send this through with your query.

If you have questions around University halls or other University accommodation please see the University Website. They have outlined information regarding accommodation contracts.

The Guild has been working to lobby landlords/housing organisations to support students during this time. You can find information about this work here. Certain large student housing providers have already agreed to surrender student contracts in the face of Covid 19. To find out the up to date position of your housing provider you should check their webpages directly.

Below we have provided frequently asked questions regarding this issue and how it may impact your privately rented housing. Please note the advice on this page may change, particularly if there are changes to the law. Below this is further key advice for all students at this time.

This will depend on your circumstances, if you have a joint tenancy agreement, as most students in private-rented accommodation do, if one of your housemates doesn’t pay their rent, you have “joint and several liability” for the rent. This means that that you and your housemates are liable for all the rent due - so you could be asked to pay it (as could guarantors).

  • If you live alone, or everyone on the tenancy agreement wants to leave

If you have signed a contract for a fixed period (for example, 6 months, 12 months, or 24 months), and you are still in that fixed period, check if your contract has something called a ‘break clause’. In order to locate the break clause, it is advisable to read every part of your contract to look for it. You can only use a break clause if every tenant on the agreement wants to move out.

If your contract has a ‘break clause’ this may mean that you can terminate your contract after a certain date, before the end of the fixed term, providing you give the required notice. You may have to pay rent until the required notice period has ended.

If your contract does not have a ‘break clause’ or the break clause cannot yet be exercised, you will not have any automatic right to end your contract. You can try to negotiate the early end of a contract with your landlord. Your landlord may be sympathetic to your request to leave if they understand your reasons. For example, if you need to move urgently because you or a family member are sick or need support. If your landlord agrees to this you should ensure that your landlord confirms this in writing. However, if the landlord will not release you from the contract, they could still ask you or your guarantor for the money, even if you have moved out. At present there have not yet been any changes to the law regarding ending tenancies in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, and unless your landlord agrees to a change your obligation to pay rent will not change.

  • If you want to leave but other tenants are staying in the property

If other tenants are staying on, it is unlikely you will able to leave without continuing to pay rent unless you find a replacement tenahnt. You should discuss your wish to end the tenancy with the other tenants and the landlord. If the landlord is happy to let you go and will not require your rent to be paid in your absence, then you will not be required to pay rent. However, if the landlord will not release you from the contract without a replacement, they could still ask you, your housemates or your guarantor for the money, even if you have moved out. You can see here information on what to do if you find a new tenant.

The landlord may take action to get the rent from you, or from your guarantor if you have one. They may take some of this money from your deposit. If the amount you owe them exceeds your deposit, they may write to you to formally request the money. You might be charged interest on the amount owing which should not exceed 3% above the Bank of England Base Rate. If you still don’t pay, they may start a court claim against you.

If your landlord starts court action against you for unpaid rent, this is not a criminal trial or a criminal offence, and you won’t get a criminal record. You will be asked to attend court, and if you don't attend the hearing will go ahead in your absence. If the judge decides you should have paid the money, you will be asked to pay it as part of the judgement. You may also be asked to pay the landlord's court costs.

If you still don’t pay the money after the court has decided you should, you may receive a further judgement that can negatively affect your credit rating in the UK. This may make it difficult for you to borrow money or pass reference checks for rented accommodation in the UK in the future. If you are worried about the impact of this on any current or future visa in the UK, please seek advice from an immigration advice service. If you have questions about leaving a contract at this time you can contact the Guild Advice service on or seek advice from Liverpool Student Homes.

You may wish to stay elsewhere if someone you live with has been diagnosed with coronavirus, but please ensure that you are following the recommended self-isolation guidelines which can be found here. If you do not stay at the property due to someone you live with having COVID-19 coronavirus, you will still have to pay rent regardless of this.

The Coronavirus Act 2020 has suspended all evictions that require court orders for 3 months.

Landlords must now give a minimum of 3 months’ notice for any evictions of tenants and of some licensees. This will not apply to lodgers of live-in landlords. If your landlord has already issued you with notice, they will not be able to evict you for a further 3 months. The government has stated this period may be extended. Currently, after the 3 months’ notice expires, the landlord will be able to apply to the court for you to be evicted. The government guidance has shared that it will likely be a further 6-8 weeks, or longer given the current circumstances, for any evictions to go through the courts.

Under current legislation your rent is still due. It has been advised that tenants and landlords are expected to work out a realistic repayment plan for any rent missed in this 3 month period, taking into account the circumstances. However, there is no law saying landlords must do this. The government have advised that Tenants should continue to pay rent and abide by all other terms of their tenancy agreement to the best of their ability. Tenants who are unable to do so should speak to their landlord at the earliest opportunity. If you have drafted correspondence to your landlord and would like it reviewing, contact

The below advice still outlines the normal situation for evictions, which is still relevant but with a minimum 3 months’ notice.

Your landlord cannot evict you without an order from the court granting him possession of the property.

If the landlord wants to evict you, he has to send you a notice requiring possession. This will be either a Section 21 or Section 8 notice.

  • If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy:

The landlord can only evict you during the fixed term of the tenancy by issuing a Section 8 notice and going to court. If you have less than 8 weeks rent arrears, it is up to the judge to decide whether you should be evicted. You would be able to submit a defence that it was due to financial problems caused by coronavirus. If you have over 8 weeks rent arrears, it is a mandatory ground for eviction, so the judge will allow the eviction.

  • If you are in a fixed term tenancy:

The landlord can use the accelerated Section 21 process to evict you with 2 months’ notice, whether you have any rent arrears or not. However, you should always seek advice if you receive an eviction notice, as many of them are invalid, which can significantly delay the eviction.

  • If you are in a periodic ‘rolling’ tenancy, or your fixed term is ending soon and has not been renewed:

Your landlord can only evict you before the end of the fixed term if there is a clause in the contract stating they can do so. Any such clause should set out what notice you should be given. By law, you are entitled to ‘reasonable’ notice, and the landlord still has to apply to the court to evict you.

  • If you have a license agreement for accommodation where the landlord does not live with you (for example, in a student hall)
  • If you live with your landlord

Your landlord can evict you without a court order. You are still legally entitled to reasonable notice. The landlord can change the locks themselves.

If you find yourself in this situation or have any questions about your own contract you can contact the Guild Advice team via email at

  • If you are on an assured shorthold tenancy:

Landlords have no implied right to enter a property to conduct viewings. They can only do this if there is a clause in your tenancy agreement stating that you must permit access for viewings. Have a look at your contract to try and find this clause. The legal starting point is that tenants have a fundamental right to exclude anyone from the property – even the landlord. Landlords should never force their way in.

If the tenant has agreed in the contract to allow viewings, and the tenant refuses to permit this, the landlord could object and try to make a claim on the basis that the tenant is in breach of contract.

Most of these clauses state access for viewings must be permitted at a ‘reasonable’ time. If you refuse access, you could argue that the timing was not reasonable due to the ongoing situation - and that having people enter your home at this time would be unreasonable. You might be also be able to argue that a clause which gives the landlord a right to conduct viewings in any circumstances, despite the Government’s recommendations not to allow visitors into your home, is ‘unfair’ and not binding on you. It might be possible to negotiate a compromise such as allowing the landlord to come to the property once and take photographs or make a video. That would be less risky than allowing lots of people to visit the house.

If you live in a shared house (renting a room individually) the situation is different – the landlord is entitled to access the common parts. You could still negotiate with the landlord and make sure that any viewings are at agreed time so that you can avoid people viewing the property and wash door handles/bannisters after the viewing. You could also refuse to allow viewings in your room – although again, there is a risk that you might be breaching you contract.

If you are self-isolating, you may wish to refer your landlord to the NHS guidance on self-isolation.

  • If you have a live-in landlord

If you have a live-in landlord, you do not have a right to exclude people from the property. Your landlord can bring visitors into the property for any reason and can usually enter your room without notice. You may wish to link your landlord to the guidance on self-isolation if you are concerned.

If you are a lodger with a live-in landlord, you are an 'excluded occupier', which means your landlord doesn't have to apply to the court to evict you. This means the newly announced suspension on evictions in the courts is unlikely to prevent you from being evicted.

Your landlord can ask you to leave at the end of your fixed-term agreement. They can ask you to leave earlier than this agreement if the contract says they can.

If your agreement doesn't set out a notice period, you should be entitled to 'reasonable' notice. This is usually a week if you pay your rent weekly, or a month if you pay your rent monthly.

If your landlord is giving you less than reasonable notice, or are asking you to leave before the end of the fixed term when your contract does not permit this, you could dispute this with them.

In practice, it can be quite difficult to challenge an eviction with a live-in landlord though. We would suggest you contact us for advice if this is happening to you.

It is a criminal offence for your landlord to use or threaten violence when evicting you. If you find yourself in this situation you can contact the Guild Advice team via email at

Gas safety checks are very important and refusing to let the landlord’s contractor in to carry them out should not be done lightly.

However, it might be the case that maintaining self-isolation or minimising the risk of infection is more important in the short term. If you are at high risk from COVID-19 and your gas installation is well maintained this might be the case. The legal starting point is that tenants have a fundamental right to exclude anyone from the property – even the landlord. Landlords should never force their way in.

If there are any signs to suggest that your boiler is faulty or you smell gas that would be a reason not to delay the inspection. Your boiler would need urgent attention.

If you decide to refuse access to the landlord you can refer them to the guidance from the health and safety executive to landlords which says that landlords should make reasonable efforts to conduct a gas safety check annually and if it proves to not be possible, they should keep evidence of the reasons why the inspection could not be done. That will be the correct thing for many landlords to do right now.

Disagreements between tenants are often not really ‘legal’ problems at and you should first consider what is reasonable and fair to everyone involved. You should consider very carefully whether you are exposing your housemates to unnecessary risks.

If you have a joint tenancy (one agreement for the whole property) disagreements between tenants must be solved between the tenants. Sometimes the landlord can help you reach an agreement but they do not have any formal legal responsibility here.

If you rent a room and the landlord or other tenants are stopping you from bringing in guests you should bear in mind that they are following the latest Government guidance.

Everyone does have legal duties to their ‘neighbours’ not to cause them harm that someone could reasonably see coming. That means there might be a legal duty not to expose your housemates to additional risk of infection – but the law here is complex. You should consider the latest Government guidance and remember that your housemates might be vulnerable due a medical condition you do not know about. It would be better not to bring visitors into your house where not absolutely necessary until the Government advises otherwise.

Money Advice and Guidance are available to provide you with information around finance concerns during this time, you can contact via email at and information can be found here.

It may also be useful to stay up to date with information from Student Loans Company.

Some tenancy agreements have a “Force Majeure” clause. 'Force Majeure' means an event or sequence of events - beyond a party's reasonable control - preventing or delaying it from performing its obligations under the Agreement. So for example, if something happened to your house that meant you couldn't live in it anymore, such as a natural disaster destroying the property.

While Covid 19 may be a 'Force Majeure' event, it is unlikely to prevent you from occupying the property or stop the tenancy from continuing. It is therefore unlikely that a Force Majeure clause will allow you to end a tenancy early

Key points of Advice:

  • If you are legally liable for your rent, you should continue to pay it.
  • Speak to your landlord or agent and see if you can negotiate an agreement with them. Whilst there is no obligation for them to make any concessions, you may be able to arrange something.
  • If you would like support looking at your contract and finding a break clause you can email a copy of your contract to the Guild Advice Team.
  • Generally, tenancy agreements state that tenants should let the landlord/agent know if they are going to be away. If you have this written into your contract it is your responsibility to do this.
  • You will remain liable for the utility bills until the end of your tenancy agreement. If your rent includes an amount for bills
  • you could ask the landlord/agent to reduce your rent amount if you will not be staying in the property (and they do not agree to end your tenancy early). It is the landlord’s choice whether they allow this.
  • If you have signed an accommodation contract for the academic year 2020/21 - this agreement will still be binding.
  • If you have paid a deposit and are moving out, ask when you will get your deposit back. Deposit scheme rules vary, but you may only have 3 months (less one day) from the end of the tenancy. See our information page on Deposits.
  • It's illegal for your landlord to evict you without following the proper steps (without notice or a court order). This has not changed.
  • If you find yourself in this situation or have any questions about your own contract you can contact the Guild Advice team via email at

Information has been taken from guidance originally published by The University of London Housing Services (Covid-19 Coronavirus & Private Housing Rights).