Moving out of a property can be a stressful time, especially if you’re already thinking about the next place you’re moving into. Here are some simple steps to make the process as straightforward as possible.
Before you move out:
- Check your tenancy agreement for moving out and deposit return arrangements; failing to adhere to the agreement can result in delays getting your deposit back, or deductions from the amount you’re owed.
- Make sure you know which deposit scheme is holding your money (see our “Deposits” guide for more info)
- Start thinking about recycling or donating usable items you don’t need (See our website for more info on our Leave Liverpool Tidy recycle scheme)
- Plan a cleaning rota with your housemates; remember the kitchen and bathroom will take the most time!
- Consider arranging mail redirection
- Re-check your inventory and arrange a check out inspection with your landlord/agent
- Clean the property thoroughly
- Notify utility companies of your move out date
Move out day:
- Remove all remaining rubbish from the property
- Take photos of the property
- Take meter readings and ask your utility companies for a final bill; you may need to send proof of payment to your landlord
- Keep copies of all useful documents (emails, photos, tenancy agreement)
- Lock up everywhere and return the keys promptly
Two to four weeks after the end of the tenancy:
- Have you heard from your landlord about your deposit? If not, write to them to request details – we can advise you on this process
- Don’t agree with any deposit deductions? Try to negotiate with your landlord in writing using your tenancy agreement, the inventory, and your photos of the property from the beginning and end of the tenancy.
- If this doesn’t work, you and your landlord can agree to refer the dispute to the deposit protection scheme. Read the information provided by your scheme about how to raise a dispute and what evidence is needed and come and talk to us for advice and support on the process.
- If your deposit isn’t protected, get in touch with us for advice on what to do next.
- See our “Deposits” guide for more info
We can help – contact our Advice team by email: email@example.com or find out when our drop-in times are by visiting or calling the Guild Reception on 0151 794 6868.
We provide links to sites we think will provide useful information for you. If you spot any errors, broken links or omissions please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org